Welcome to the first thing in 12 Things SWKLS 2018. This month we’re going to reduce some of the clutter in our lives and cleanup our email. Hopefully this will help some of you feel less overwhelmed by your email. I know a lot of you are already very good at this, but this is a struggle for several people. I am hoping everyone can learn something this month and there is no better time to begin to declutter our email than at the beginning of the year.
This may look a little familiar to some of you. Last year some of this was covered in an alternate topic and a few of you completed it. I am hoping this will be a good reminder and a good refresher for all of you at the beginning of the year.
The activities for this lesson are due January 31 , 2018 at 11:59 pm central time and are worth 2 credit hours. Estimated work time: 1-2 hours.
If you would rather complete an alternate topic, please go to the alternate topic page and pick one from the list.
Alternately, If you need more of a structured plan and/or your name is Janelle, you are welcome to complete the Get Out of Email Hell: 4 Week Challenge in exchange for Thing 1. If you complete this challenge, you will have until February 10 to receive credit and will receive 6 credit hours. If you decide to go this route instead, please still complete Activity 4 and post comments below.
If you get stuck and need help, please don’t hesitate to ask.
What you’ll learn in this lesson:
- Tips for cleaning up your email inbox
- How to keep your email organized
- How to stay on top of your email
Exercises: (Due January 31, 2018 at 11:59 pm CST)
Tools you will need:
- A computer or internet enabled device
- An Internet connection
- An email account
Activity 1: (15-30 min)
- Gmail Users: Complete the Managing Gmail Lesson through gcflearnfree.org.
- Outlook.com users: Complete the 6 Lessons in Organize your email from https://support.office.com.
Activity 2: (15-30 min)
- Note: The article and video below are suggestions. What works best for someone else, may not work best for you. Use these two resources to think of what may work best to conquer your own email.
- Read Get Organized: How to Clean Up Your Inbox from PCmag.com.
- Read and watch 5 Easy Steps To End Email Overwhelm
- (Note: PLEASE DO NOT save passwords or personal information in your email. This is an easy way for hackers to get information if your email gets hacked or compromised. The rest of the information in this video is great! )
Activity 3: (15 – 30 min)
- Watch How to Unsubscribe from a Newsletter with Gmail.
- Take 15 minutes two days this month to delete unneeded email and unsubscribe from newsletters or email lists.
- From this point on, immediately unsubscribe from any email you do not want.
Activity 4: (15-30 min)
- Develop a plan for how you want to conquer your email in 2018.
- Some ideas:
- Spend 10 minutes every Friday afternoon (or another afternoon) cleaning it up.
- 10 minutes every morning is another idea.
- Only touch emails once.
- Schedule times throughout the day to check your email.
- Some ideas:
- Share your plan with us below.
- Share any tips or tricks you may have.
- Reply to at least one other person’s comment below.
- Note: It may take awhile for your comments to show up as we have comments moderated.
Want to learn more? Check out these links.