The State Library of Kansas website is a great resource full of important information for both you as a library staff member and a library user.
Here are a few of the things you can find on the State Library of Kansas website:
- Directions for Digital Book eLending
- Promotional Materials for State Library of Kansas Content
- Talking Books Resources
- Online Resources
- Fact Sheets
- Interlibrary Loan Information
- Various Continuing Education Topics
- Kansas Library eCard Resources
- Statewide Databases
The activities for this lesson are due April 30 , 2017 at 11:59 pm central time and are worth 2 credit hours. Estimated work time: 1-2 hours.
If you would rather complete an alternate topic, please go to the alternate topic page and pick one from the list.
If you get stuck and need help, please don’t hesitate to ask.
What you’ll learn in this lesson:
- How to get to the State Library of Kansas Website.
- How to navigate the State Library of Kansas Website.
- Where to find things on the State Library of Kansas Website.
- What kind of information can be found on the State Library of Kansas Website.
Exercises: (Due April 30, 2017 at 11:59 pm CDT)
Tools you will need:
- A computer or internet enabled device
- An Internet connection
- A printer
Activity 1: (10-15 min)
- In this first activity we’re going to print off the Statewide Services FAQs for Public Librarians.
- Go to the State Library of Kansas website at www.kslib.info.
- Hover your mouse over the Librarians Tab and click on Training & Librarian Documents.
- Once you are taken to the Training & Librarian Documents page quickly scan the page to see what kind of information is available.
- Look for the Documents section and click on the Statewide Services FAQ Sheets link pertaining to your type of library (public, academic, school).
- Print out the document and read it.
- This document is two pages and can be printed two-sided.
Activity 2: (10-15 min)
- Take about 15 minutes and familiarize yourself with the State Library of Kansas website.
- Pay special attention to the following sections or tabs:
- Main Page
- State Agencies
- About Us
- How Do I…
- Make sure you can find or know how to access the following things:
- Kansas Library eCard login.
- Statewide Databases.
- Digital Books eLending Directions.
- Digital Book eLending Stats.
- Continuing Education upcoming events (for libraries).
- Continuing Education archive (for libraries).
- Staff Directory.
- How to Join Email Lists.
Activity 3: (10 – 30 min)
- Complete the State Library of Kansas (www.kslib.info) scavenger hunt.
- You’re more than welcome to do this in pairs or groups, just put in all of your names when you fill out the form.
Activity 4: (10 – 15 min)
- Check out the Explora Resources.
- Post a comment below answering the following:
- What new thing or things did you learn about the State Library of Kansas website?
- What do you use the State Library of Kansas website for the most?
- How do you see your library using kslib.info more in the future?
- What are you excited about sharing with your fellow:
- Library Staff Members
- Library Users?
- What would you like to see happen with the next Thing 12?
- Note we’re thinking of maybe doing 12 Things every other year and starting in January.
- We are also thinking on making it where you you don’t have to complete all 12 things to be entered in drawings. Instead, the more lessons you complete, the more chance you have of winning small prizes or a big prize.
- Please share your thoughts!
- Digital Books eLending Librarian FAQ Sheet
- Explora Resources
- User Guides
- Promotional Materials
- Scavenger Hunts