To receive 2 hrs credit for this lesson, please complete this lesson by the last day of the month at 11:59 pm CST.
Hootsuite is a tool that can be used to manage all of your social media accounts such as Facebook, Intagram, Twitter, etc from one place. You can also use it to schedule posts to your library’s WordPress page.
The free version of Hootsuite allows you to connect up to 3 social media accounts. From the dashboard you can manage and schedule social media posts as well as share and view posts to your library’s website if you have a WordPress site. There is also a small business and enterprise version. The free version should be enough for most small libraries. If you’re trying it out, I would recommend starting with that version first. The small business plan may be more effective for libraries with more of a social media presence or for larger libraries.
Tips: VERY IMPORTANT
- Only one account can manage a Facebook Page at a time so think this through if you have multiple people managing your Facebook page. (I am guessing this is the same with other social networks as well.)
- You can share a Hootsuite login
- Upgrade to the small business plan and add users
- or… just have one of you use Hootsuite to manage the social media site, and the other staff members do it the old fashioned way.
- If you’re going to connect your WordPress site (SWurl site), be sure to install the App first. (Look for the puzzle piece icon in the dashboard on Hootsuite)
- Your WordPress site is hosted so you need to connect with the wordpress.org app, not directly with the wordpress.com.
- Create a Hootsuite account, if you don’t already have one.
- A strong password is a VERY good idea. This account is may have multiple social media accounts on it so you want an extremely strong password.
- Check out Hootsuite’s Quick Start Guide or Getting Started Page for written instructions and videos on how to do 3-5 below.
- Add at least one social media account you would like to manage through Hootsuite.
- Post an update to your social media account.
- Schedule an update for a future day or time.
- Post a comment below with the following:
- How do you see Hootsuite being used in your library?
- What are you most excited about?
- Reply to a comment below if there are any available.
- Fill out this form for verification.