Welcome to the second thing in 12 Things SWKLS 2018. Our new antivirus, ESET Endpoint Antivirus, has cybersecurity awareness training available to share with all of our libraries. We thought this would be a great topic for Thing 2. This is important because recent studies have shown that cybercriminals are increasingly targeting users as a means to gain entry into corporate or personal networks.
The activities for this lesson are due February 28, 2018 at 11:59 pm central time and are worth 2 credit hours. Estimated work time: 1-2 hours.
If you would rather complete an alternate topic, please go to the alternate topic page and pick one from the list. You are also welcome to choose past topics.
If you get stuck and need help, please don’t hesitate to ask.
What you’ll learn in this lesson:
- Threats Overview: Malware, phishing & social engineering
- Password Policies: Best practices; 2FA and how to use it
- Web Protection: What to look for; what to avoid
- Email Protection: What to look for; what to avoid
- Preventive Measures: Best practices for security at home and work
Exercises: (Due February 28, 2018 at 11:59 pm CST)
Tools you will need:
- A computer or internet enabled device (this should work on a tablet, phone, or iPad)
- An Internet connection
- An email account
Activity 1: (60 – 90 min)
This training takes under 90 minutes, and will give you everything you need to know to practice cybersecurity best practices at work and in your personal life. Here are instructions:
- Go to this link and fill out the form, entering your own information. Be sure to use your library email address.
- Once you complete the fields, you will receive an email with a link to the training—please keep this link handy.
- The training runs in any browser, and there is sound, so make sure your computer sound is turned on.
- Note: To see the slides in Chrome you may need to approve Flash to run if using the Chrome browser.
- Note that the red Media Player button along the bottom tracks how far you are through the program. If you need to leave before completing the training, simply take note of the time code so you can start again in the same place, using the link you saved above.
- Once you have completed the training, you will be given a certificate. Please email Janelle (jmercer at swkls.org) this certificate so she can track completion.
- In order to receive the certificate you will need to score greater than 70% on the test.
Activity 2: (5-10 min)
- Comment below letting us know two things you learned and what you plan on doing differently in the future.
- Reply to another librarian’s comment.