Welcome to the eleventh thing in 12 Things SWKLS 2018. This month we’re going to be learning about email listserves. We’re going to discuss what listserves are, how they’re handy, how to post to them, and how to reply to a message.
The activities for this lesson are due November 30 at 11:59 pm central time and are worth 2 credit hours. Estimated work time: 1-2 hours.
If you would rather complete an alternate topic, please go to the alternate topic page and pick one from the list. You are also welcome to choose past topics or topics from the first round of Things.
If you get stuck and need help, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Exercises: (Due November 30, 2018 at 11:59 pm CDT)
Tools you will need:
- A computer with a browser.
- A tablet or other internet enabled device will also work for most of these activities.
- An email address.
- An Internet connection.
Activity 1: (10-15 min)
- Part of being a member of the Southwest Kansas Library System is having access to SWKLS email lists.
- An email list is an easy way to communicate via mail. When an email is posted to the list it will be distributed automatically to the other subscribers on the list.
- These lists can be used to be used to:
- Ask Questions
- Share ideas
- Giveaway/sell items
- Get help and/or advice
- and much more!
- Read the SWKLS Listserve Webpage.
You may also want to print this out for future reference.
- This can also be found under About on www.swkls.org or by searching for listserve or lists.
Activity 2: (10-20 min)
- Post an email to one of the SWKLS email lists asking a question, giving away an item, etc.
- If you aren’t sure if you’re subscribed, email or call Janelle or Steve and they can check.
- Reply to a question or comment on one of the SWKLS lists.
- Note: the SWKLS lists are setup so the reply only goes to the poster. If you’d like to reply to the whole list you can do a reply all. (Note: a Reply all is only recommended when it’s something the whole list can benefit from.)
Activity 3: (10 – 15 min)
- Check out the lists hosted by the State Library of Kansas.
- Sign up for any lists you might be interested in.
Activity 4: (10-20 min)
- Post a comment below answering the following:
- What is your favorite thing(s) about email lists?
- What did you learn this lesson?
- What other email lists other than the SWKLS ones do you find valuable?
- Reply to one other person’s comment.
- Register for Thing 11!
Bonus Acitivity: (10 – 15 min) (will only work with a gmail or G Suites account):
- Manage your SWKLS email lists by going to: https://groups.google.com.
- You will only be able to log in to this with a gmail or Google Suites email address.
- SWKLS uses Google Groups to manage our email lists.
- Sign in with your work email address (if you haven’t already.)
- Click on My Groups to view the and manage the groups your email addressed is associated with.
- Note: There may be groups listed that are not SWKLS groups.
- Under each group you can manage how often you receive messages. You can change to receive daily summaries, combined updates, receive every new message, or not get any emails.
- The SWKLS office recommends keeping your SWKLS lists at “every new message”. But, if you’re receiving a lot of list emails the other options are a good way to manage your subscriptions.
- You can also leave a group from this screen as well by clicking on Leave this group.
- You may want to take some time and see if there are any Google Groups you’re subscribed to that are no longer active or you no longer participate in. You can remove yourself from those if you’d like.
- Most email lists should have something similar where you should be able to manage your settings. If you have any questions or need help with this, please don’t hesitate to contact our office.