Welcome to the fifth thing in 12 Things SWKLS 2019. This month we’re going to be learning about the Niche Academy available through the State Library of Kansas.
In this lesson you will:
- Identify what Niche Academy is why it’s applicable to you
- Locate where to find Niche Academy on the State Library Website
- Practice using Niche Academy
- Establish ways Niche Academy can help you, your staff members, and your patrons
In addition to providing statewide databases, eBooks, and audiobooks, the State Library also gives you the tools to teach your patrons to use these resources! Niche Academy is a collection of tutorials that’s available from any page on the state library’s website via the blue Tutorials tab on the right-hand side of the page.
Niche Academy includes video and text introductions and instructions for using many of our database products and eBook and audiobook platforms. You can use these tutorials to brush up on these resources yourself or point patrons toward them when they need a little help delving into a resource that they haven’t used before. We regularly add new tutorials and would welcome feedback and requests for additional tutorials. The State Library can also provide you with direct links to individual tutorials to put on your library’s website. Just ask Andy from the State Library. If you need his contact information, contact Janelle.
In addition to those patron-focused tutorials, the State Library of Kansas also has an entire academy dedicated to librarians. You can find it by clicking on the LIBRARIANS tab on our website, going to the Professional Resources section of that page and clicking Niche Academy Tutorials. These tutorials are much more geared toward issues facing librarians. As with the patron-facing academy, the State Library of Kansas welcomes your feedback regarding what kind of content you’d like to see more of. Just like with the patron-facing tutorials, the State Library can give you direct links to embed these tutorials in your own library’s website as well.
Direct links to academies:
Above content taken from: SLK Resource Spotlight: Niche Academy email from Andy Schafer (State Library of Kansas), August 27, 2019.
Exercises: (Due September 30, 2019 at 11:59 pm CDT)
- A computer with a browser.
- A tablet or other internet enabled device will also work for most of these activities.
- An Internet connection.
- Go to www.kslib.info.
- Click on the Librarians tab.
- This should take you to a page that looks like the one below.
- Click on Niche Academy Tutorials under Professional Resources.
- Complete one of the library staff tutorials.
- Go to www.kslib.info.
- Find the Patron Tutorials by clicking on the Blue Tutorial Button.
- Complete one of the patron tutorials.
Activity 3: Wrap-up
- Post a comment below answering the following:
- What tutorials did you complete?
- What did you learn?
- What did you like and not like about these tutorials?
- How do you see this helping you, your coworkers, and your patrons in the future?
- Reply to at least one other person’s comment below.
- Register for 12/2 Thing 5.