Welcome to 12 Things SWKLS!
Over the next 12 months, we’ll be learning a new thing or technology skill each month. For those of you that participated in 23 Things Kansas this program will be similar, but we’ll only have one topic or thing per month. All of the topics will be online on the SWKLS website.
Each lesson will be posted online around the first of the month starting in January. You’ll have until the last day of the month at 11:59 pm central time to complete each lesson and receive 2 hours credit.
Who can participate?
Any SWKLS library staff member
What’s in it for you?
- You can work at your own pace.
- You can pick and choose which lessons you want to complete.
- You can receive 2 credit hours for completing each lesson.
- If you complete lessons or things you will be entered into grand prize drawings at the end.
- The more things you complete, the more chances you have of winning.
- You could win gift cards and other prizes.
- A large grand prize, to be announced, will also be available.
- You can complete as many things or lessons as you want (the more things you complete, the more entries you will have for prizes. You are limited to one entry per month.)
- You’ll get to learn lots of new things
- You’ll get to participate with other SWKLS libraries
- Not interested in learning the thing for the month? We’ll also have alternate lessons or things you can choose.
- You’ll have fun as you learn!
Examples of things that will be covered (these may change):
- Google Forms (can use for Summer Reading signup, ILL forms, program signup, etc)
- Tips for keeping your library website up to date
- Digital Audiobooks through the State Library
- eBooks through State Library
- Online Learning
- Facebook Live
- 360º Videos
- Tips to Clean up Your Email
Take me to the 2019 Things:
- Thing 1: Password Managers (LastPass)
- Thing 2: Podcasts
- Thing 3: Eventbrite
- Thing 4: Basic Image Editing
Take me to the 2018 Things:
- Thing 1 (How to Cleanup and Organize your Email)
- Thing 2: (Cyber Security)
- Thing 3 (Kansas Talking Books)
- Thing 4 (Facebook Live)
- Thing 5: (How to Make your Library Facebook Presence More Visible)
- Thing 6: Choose Your Own Adventure
- Thing 7: State Library of Kansas Database Overview
- Thing 8: The New Gmail
- Thing 9: Screencasting
- Thing 10: Screencasting Continued
- Thing 11: Email Listserves
- Thing 12: Canva Alternatives
Archives from 2016 – 2017:
- Thing 1 (Google Forms)
- Thing 2 (Facebook Pages)
- Thing 3 (VERSO Patron Accounts)
- Thing 4 (Kansas Library eCard)
- Thing 5 (OneClickdigital now called RBdigital)
- Thing 6 (Digital Book eLending)
- Thing 7 (Canva)
- Thing 8 (Review)
- Thing 9 (Floating Collections)
- Thing 10 (Infographics)
- Thing 11 (Instagram)
- Thing 12 (State Library of Kansas Website)
- Alternative Things